By Philippe Cornu
Astrology is without doubt one of the conventional arts and sciences of Tibet, the place it truly is often called "the technology of calculation," utilized by clergymen and lamas within the research of the rhythms and cycles of time, for divination, for selecting auspicious instances for rituals and life-cycle occasions resembling marriages and funerals, and as an accessory to the perform of conventional drugs.
This accomplished creation to the subject contains:
• old roots and impacts from China and India in addition to the Buddhist Kalachakra teachings and the traditional Bön faith of Tibet
• the 2 major branches of Tibetan astrology: Nagtsi, or "black astrology," in response to the chinese language process, and Kartsi, or "white astrology," derived from Indian astrology
• The twelve- and sixty-year cycles and the twelve animals and 5 parts linked to them
• The mewa, or magical squares, that are numerological components used to calculate the auspiciousness of days or years
• The parkha, or 8 trigrams of the I Ching, representing the weather, instructions, seasons, and primary common forces
• the way to examine the nature of hours, days, months, and years, with a view to ascertain auspicious instances for varied actions
• the way to forged and interpret a Tibetan horoscope
Also incorporated are quite a few diagrams and charts which are imperative to the perform of Tibetan astrology, together with tables for changing Western dates to dates at the Tibetan calendar.